Social Icons

Pages

sábado, agosto 22, 2015

Hate Morning Workouts? Try These 6 Tips to Motivate Yourself

Hate Morning Workouts You Should Try These 6 Tips to Motivate Yourself

Despite the fact that I’ve been running for about three years now, I still hate getting up in the morning to do my daily workout.

Now, you might find that to be a bit surprising. Indeed, you might be asking yourself, “How the heck has this guy managed to wake up and run for three years if he hates doing it?” This is a good question, as it’s definitely a conundrum. The truth is, while I really dislike waking up early, I love the feeling I get after a run (runner’s high?). This rush, along with the physical benefits, keeps me going.

Additionally, I used to live in an area that was cooler in temperature, so I could run in the afternoon if I wanted to. That changed about a year ago though. Ever since, I’ve had to wake up very early because nowadays it’s far too hot to run outside anytime after 10 AM.

In lieu of that, I’ve discovered several simple tricks that have made it easier for me to abandon my warm comfy bed in favor of the brisk morning air. With these modifications, I can take all the health advantages my morning workout gives me.

Read on and I’ll share them with you!

1. Plan ahead.

This is crucial. The hardest thing about getting up early for a workout is handling the logistics. Nobody wants to hear their alarm and think to themselves, “Ugh, now I have to find my running shorts, fumble around with my drawers in search of socks, and tumble downstairs to look for my water bottle.”

The key is to do all of those little things the night before. Have your workout clothes folded neatly on your nightstand, ready to go. Have your water bottle, phone, and shoes nearby as well. Everything you need should be within arms reach of your bed. It also helps to set multiple alarms, so that if you happen to sleep through one of them another manages to shake you from your slumber.

The fact is that, while we all have grand plans in the evening, the morning coats us in a glaze of laziness that takes a while to shake off. You need to give yourself every advantage you can get!

2. Find a workout buddy.

I had one of these for a while, and boy was it awesome. Not only does it make it easier to convince yourself to get out there and do your business, it also means you’ll have pleasant company whilst working out, making it all go by much faster.

My running buddy and I had a good thing going for a while. Let me tell you, runs with a friend felt like they went by much quicker compared to when I went on a solo jaunt. Thirty minute runs felt like they lasted ten minutes or less, especially if we spent the time talking about a juicy subject.

3. Signup for a class.

If you go to college or live near a decent gym, chances are that they’ll have classes you can sign up for. These classes can range from yoga and cross country, to weight lifting and core strengthening. By signing up for an early class, you’ll feel more obligated to wake up in the morning, as you won’t want to disappoint your instructor and/or fellow classmates who might be depending on your presence.

It’s a lot like how you found it easy to read several books for a class, but found it difficult to get through even one during the summer. Different expectations lead to different results. You’ll want to hold yourself to high expectations. Signing up for a class can get you on the right track.

4. Reward yourself.

No, I’m not saying you should plan on buying a cake and eating it after you go on a run. That’s not realistic if you want to reach your physical goals. What I’m saying is that you should be strategic. If you usually have a latte or caffeine-based drink in the morning, wait until after you’ve completed your workout. It will feel like more of an accomplishment if you can sit and enjoy something delicious after putting yourself through an early morning ordeal.

If you’re a big breakfast eater, maybe you can splurge and go to Dunkin’ Donuts for a tasty pastry after a run. You don’t want to overdo it, but treating yourself in this way from time to time does indeed make it easier to pull yourself out of bed in the morning.

5. Stay consistent.

The more days you wake up early to start your workout, the easier it gets. I don’t know what the scientific term is for this, but I’ll call it the “compounding effect.” The more you do something, the more you’ll feel obligated to keep on doing it, especially if you’re benefiting from it (which you definitely will be).

Once I had been running for about a month, there was a little switch in my brain that went off. It basically forced me to get out there and workout even when I was feeling lazy and tired. It’s hard to explain if you’ve never felt it before, so I’ll put it this way: the more you workout, the harder it becomes to stop. It almost become more painful to do nothing, than it is to get your muscles moving.

6. Give yourself a bedtime.

I know, sleeping before 11 PM must sound ludicrous to most of you. However, it’s absolutely crucial if you want to be able to do your workout around 6 AM. It’s nearly impossible to find the motivation to workout if you’re running on six hours of sleep or less, which is why you need to force yourself to try and get around eight hours.

So, if your goal is to be out the door at 6 AM, be in bed by 10 PM. 7AM? Be in bed by 11PM. And so on and so forth. It is theoretically possible to get out there and seize the day on less than eight hours of sleep, but it’s hard to keep that up, especially if you happen to be a night owl (like me).

With these tips and tricks in mind, you should now feel confident about your ability to tackle the early morning hours. Try a few of these out for yourself, and discuss your results in the comments below!

Featured photo credit: American Girl/Nathan Rupert via flickr.com

The post Hate Morning Workouts? Try These 6 Tips to Motivate Yourself appeared first on Lifehack.



from Lifehack http://ift.tt/1PGdRnR

Post Relacionados



Nenhum comentário:

 
Blogger Templates