Social Icons

Pages

terça-feira, janeiro 12, 2016

10 Creative Ways To Comfort Without Speaking

man-person-cute-young

There are many ways people go through a tough time, whether it is depression, anxiety, grieving.

There are many reasons people just feel off. So what do you do to comfort them?

Here are 10 creative ways to comfort without speaking.

1. Comfort Food

This could be anything you know that person loves to eat. I hate to say this but I LOVE sweets! When I’m feeling down and someone brings be a bag of crispy M&M’s, or they have a tub of Ben & Jerry’s American Dream… I cannot help but give them a smile. Now if it was reversed and I was trying to comfort my daughter? She loves homemade food! It can be buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy, tacos, cookies. Comfort foods were made for just that, comforting.

2. Hush the Mouth

I know that sounds harsh, because it probably is. If you are there to comfort your friend or loved one, then it’s not about you. Sometimes the best thing that you can do is be quiet and just sit there with them. This shows them that you have respect for them and that you really want to hear what they have to say; when they’re ready.

3. Patience

I know this one is hard to understand, let me explain it. Everyone goes through what is happening to them in their own time. If you were to show up huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf and it were me? I wouldn’t open up to you either. I get it, after a year and they are still moping around? Tough love might be good for them. If you show up two weeks after the incident and they are still laying on the couch and you want to be supportive? Suck it up buttercup you’re there for them remember?

4. Hugs

Hugs are a great way to show comfort. I LOVE HUGS! This article from The Huffington Post by: Lindsay Homes, 7 Reasons Why We Should Be Giving More Hugs is a great example of why we should give out hugs as a silent comfort!

5. Warm Drinks

Sometimes it’s nice to be around people in a coffee shop. No one is talking to you but everyone is enjoying a warm drink (unless it’s summer). Examples of this are coffee, teas and cocoas. Does someone you know have the winter blues? How about mixing these tips and bringing them a basket with cookies AND their favorite type of coffee or cocoa? During the winter, one of the most comforting things for me is when it’s snowing outside to have a cup of coffee or tea in my hands. For my kids I make them cocoa, boil the water fill it up 1/4 to 1/2 the way, stir in the cocoa, then fill the rest of the way with milk. This makes it just warm enough to warm them up from playing in the snow, but not hot enough to scald their mouth.

6. Surprise Gifts

There is no need to say anything when you walk up to someone and leave them a basket of their favorite things. One example; your girlfriend just had a horrible break-up. What do you give someone for that? If it’s one of my buddies, I would throw together a basket with their favorite coffee, some creamer, different sweets, and a snuggly blanket, and a comedy (or a chick flick if they’re into that). No words needed.

7. Charlie Chapman Style

Have you ever tried to be a mime? I’m not very good at it because I look like a frustrated ostrich. If my loved one is laughing and not crying? Mission accomplished! For my daughter, sometimes when she has had a bad day at school and she has a temper tantrum and isn’t intentionally trying to take it out on someone, I will show her what she looks like while doing it. Usually I get a laugh and a then she is okay, no it doesn’t always work. When I throw some humor on it and she starts laughing I know I’ve done something right.

8. Music

Music has always had a way to sooth the soul or the person for that matter. If you know the person that needs comfort and what they like for music, then it is almost as good as giving them a hug!

9. Get them out of the house

You don’t have to say anything when you get them out of the house. Go hop in the car throw their favorite tunes on and just drive. Sometimes this is what really does the trick for me.

10. Just be there

I know that this sounds crazy, but sometimes if you just sit there and let someone know that you’re there it makes all of the difference in the world. I’m not someone who opens up easily. I can sit there and listen to your stories all day. It takes a really good friend to just sit there with me, not lecturing me, not saying anything, to get me to open up and let them comfort me.

There are so many other ways to comfort people through whatever type of time they are going through, these are just some of the basics and I hope that they bring you and your loved ones some comfort.

Featured photo credit: Pexels.com via pexels.com

The post 10 Creative Ways To Comfort Without Speaking appeared first on Lifehack.



from Lifehack http://ift.tt/1mS1SdC

Post Relacionados



Nenhum comentário:

 
Blogger Templates